Sunday 25 March 2007

My first orphanage experience


This little girl is one of the most beautiful children I have ever seen - quite stunningly lovely.

I had tried to find out where the orphanage my friend had told me about was, but all I could find out was that it was at Mahalpye., about 400km north of Gaborone. It had been impossible to search for it as I travelled south with Phil and Gabi, so I resolved to see if I could find out more about it once they had left for home after a few days. I got the telephone number to the Bishop's Office at the Cathedral in Gaborone, and after a few different people trying to help me and passing my call from one to another, I finally got to speak to the office of the National President of the Mother's Union. It was arranged that I would go there the following day to meet Agnes. Of course, sensible me had not actually asked where her office was physically situated, and she had just said she would meet me at the Cathedral. At the appointed time I entered the Cathedral, having managed to park my car in a very crowded car park. This was my first surprise. The Cathedral was packed to the door. People ushered me toward a seat, but I managed to escape, as it was obvious that some sort of service was about to begin. There were a couple of young ladies standing at the back wearing badges, so I tiptoed to them, and in a low whisper asked what was about to happen (no service had as then started). Oh, it is a funeral memorial service for a well known young person who killed himself last week, they told me. Very matter of fact and no trace of emotion. Quickly I asked where the MU office was situated. They directed me out of the Cathedral, then a trek around the back to a series of low concrete block buildings, painted white with the MU blue paint on the woodwork.



Right - Agnes, Centre - Julia Left - the Lady in charge at the Orphanage. This was taken at the orphanage but inside the church.


Relieved, I entered to be greeted by the friendliest lady I think I have ever had the good fortune to meet in such circumstances. I had been so acutely embarrassed to find myself leaving just as a funeral was about to begin - and I was not the only white person there, so it seemed even more strange, I am sure. I was so pleased to meet Julia. We chatted about her work, and she kept apologising for Agnes, the President, not having been there to meet me. After about an hour Agnes arrived in a cloud of dust and squealing brakes. She had just returned from Mahalapye after one of her many visits to make sure everything there was running smoothly.




This little one was upset because he couldn't keep my camera!

She had decided that she would like to show me around some of her projects around Gaborone, so it was into the mini-bus with Julia at the wheel, Agnes beside her and me in the back. I think I have mentioned before the dreadful driving in that city. I am sure the first thing prospective drivers learn is to close their eyes and get their foot as hard down on the accelerator as possible. She was, as I said, a really friendly lady. However, it is a little un-nerving to have a conversation with the driver who insists on turning round to talk to you whilst propelling the vehicle at break-neck speeds through city traffic. At one memorable stage, she was actually asking me what I thought of the standard of driving in Botswana, and she had not looked at the road for a good 2 minutes at the time. It is very difficult to be polite when sheer terror is overtaking you.



More of the lovely children who all look very healthy and cared for, thanks to the wonderful work at St. Peters.




The laddie with the big grin on the left rejoices in the name of Prince and what a character he is.

We got to a triangular building which had high concrete fencing around it, and it transpired that this was St Peter's Church, Mogoditshane. (Strange coincidence - Vic also lives in Mogoditshane but didn't know this place existed - second thought, not so strange really as church and Vic don't really see eye to eye!)




The Children, like children the world over, love painting. Except here they only had green and yellow paint.

I was taken to the Rectory and met the most charismatic Rector I think I have ever had the good fortune to be introduced to. Andrew had trained at Mirfield, Huddersfield, so he immediately enjoyed hearing my Yorkshire accent.



With some of the most enthusiastic volunteers any centre could hope to have - full of love and care for the children.


He and Agnes were talking about the building of the new orphanage, and he mentioned that the £1,000 promised by someone was not now going to materialise, which would severely hold up the dream of getting it built. It was to equip the kitchen and bathrooms. Without those, the rest of the orphanage could not be built. He ended up with just saying that they would just have to keep praying, and that he felt sure the Lord would answer his prayers sooner or later. (None of this conversation was directed at me, and I spent my time quietly chatting to Julia whilst this was going on)
.


More beautiful smiles and more green and yellow paintings.


Now Agnes took me to meet the children. They were picked up each morning, and transported there, fed and looked after all day, and then they would go to wherever they were to spend the night. These little ones have no parents, and it is only the care and attention of the Mother's Union Members that provides them with clothing and food and a nights shelter. They are some of the happiest children who have seen the hardest of lives, and have little hope of any sort of existence without the orphanages. They are just the tip of the iceberg that is the AIDS/HIV legacy in Africa general and Botswana in this case.




They were all gathering round to sing a song to me - talk about emotional!

I spent the most amazing couple of hours there, taking their photographs, which they loved and clamoured to see, and talking with their helpers. These young people have endless patience and thoughout the whole work they do, their faith is a wonderful example. I felt completely out of my depth. These little ones with nothing were so happy just playing and chatting - just like children the world over really. They had never seen a digital camera, and the squeals of delights when they saw their photographs will remain with me always. When I arrived, they were doing some painting. However, they only had Green and Yellow paints, so every photo was a study in green and yellow. I resolved there and then to make sure that I would bring back a rainbow of paints for them, as well as pencils and crayons and everything else I could carry.




I am just going to add their photos, but I cannot add their names - for their own sakes as much as anything else. They certainly provided me with a totally new direction for my life without even realising it.


Smiles, smiles and more smiles - from children who have nothing to smile about compared to children in the UK.

After the emotional visit to orphanage, Julia propelled the mini-bus to a lovely Lodge for a cool drink for us. Agnes still had one more project she wanted to show me. This lady had been in dire need of a home, and the Mother's Union had built her this house. As she was very ill, she had a couple of young people to help her, this young man, and there was a lovely young lady who was busy preparing lunch for her - and who was very camera shy, so I didn't take her photo.
It is a very worthwhile project that they had completed and were justifiably very proud of what they had achieved.

It was impossible for me to spend longer with Agnes (my nerves would not take a lot more of the driving for one thing!) but I hoped to be able to return one day with some paints for the children, as well as lots of other things I could see they desperately needed.



Where the young care for the old and infirm as a matter of choice and pleasure - no relation of this lady, who had none, but just a volunteer helping out with the Mother's Union work.

I had made arrangements on my way north some weeks before, to return to Clifton School and spend longer with Larry and Ian, and this I was able to do the following day. I was SO grateful for Terry's amazing kindness in lending me a car, so, with bag packed once more, I was off on the road up to Francistown again. I do love to get on that road north - and this time I did not have any idea just where it was going to lead me eventually, and I was prepared for anything. I shall tell you about my incredible journey next time.

4 comments:

tinks said...

Sunshine
Have you given up? Or are you on another trip?
I look forward to your posts and check for new ones very regularly. Don't always comment coz I don't want to be the only one doing so, but do enjoy your tales.

Pearls of Wisdom said...

Sunshine,

I just came across your blog . I love it and love your outlook in life. Please visit when you can .

Angel ( Angel Mama )

I am hosting a carnival at my blog Monday July 7, 2007 for women bloggers . It is a new group I joined you just do any post and these would be great and sign up on Monday for others to visit . Please think about joining.

tellurianna said...

just to let you know, I'm here and will be coming back often. Wonderful Blog... but then obviously a wonderful person.
god bless sunshine.
xx tellurianna :)

Aiko Dumas said...

The little girl is indeed, lovely. African kids have beautiful eyes, ma'am! It's heartwarming to see those kids smile in front of you, right? :) May I ask, what song did they sing to you? Do you have a video of it? I'd like to see it!