Friday 2 March 2007

Maun and a bush paradise

On many evenings I would go up into the Chobe Forest with Phil and Gabi whilst they were shooting Clay Pigeons. I always enjoyed these evenings, and to watch two very talented people practising their sport. I eventually was able to do the launching for them, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I would not touch a gun - not with a barge pole. I don't trust myself with anything more lethal than a keyboard (well, OK I know a car can be a lethal weapon, and so can a keyboard in the wrong hands!) but I had no confidence in even giving a shot gun a try!

Although I had no idea where we would sleep, I was amused to hear Gabi making phone calls whilst we were on the way, to a friend of a friend arranging for us to stay a couple of nights. Of course I am always up for any adventure anyone wishes to give me the opportunity to enjoy. There had been masses of rain, and the route to Maun had to be back down the main road I had taken a few days earlier, then a turn to the right for a few hundred kilometres till we got to Maun. Barbara & Guido offered us the use of the car I had brought up for them, so we set off in style. As we approached the first check point (I think I explained about Vet fences and foot and mouth controls before) Phil checked with Gabi that their driving licenses were in their usual place. Nope. they'd forgotten them! A couple of minutes later I was at the wheel, and happy as a sand-boy! I had my license and of course my passport with me. No problems then. They would split the journey with me, changing over just before road blocks and vet fences!


or just the storm clouds gathering (shades of the music Storms over Africa!)


All memorable in their own way. Once we got to Maun, we had to drive through 14 Km of bush to arrive at the home of a friend of Gabi and Phil's a German girl called Heike. The poor lass had only moved in that day, but mattresses and sleeping bags were found, a braai cooked (barbecue for our Aussi and other friends!) and all washed down with some good wines and beers. This was the night I got 200+ bites. Heike. who we were staying with does not believe in Mozzie nets, screens for the windows (although by the following day, she was busily putting screens up on her windows!) neither did she believe in burglar bars. Worst of all, she insisted on sleeping with the windows open, so really I stood no chance of avoiding the mozzies. Still I was more than happy to have a bed for the night, so treated it as just part of my African adventure.



Burglar bars are an essential part of life in Botswana (and other African Countries as well). the African mentality seems to be that if the whites have something, the blacks are entitled to take it regardless. Is there any wonder there is a need for electric fences and gates and high walls around properties. This property had only been occupied for 3 weeks, but already there had been three break-ins. The worrying part as far as we could see was that for a 40 year old very pretty lady living on her own, and who is away flying (she is a commercial pilot) most of the time, she is very vulnerable. Rape is not seen as the serious crime that it should be seen amongst the black men. Yes, I must admit, I could not live there for a kings ransom. Delightful though the property is, and it really is, it is very open to crime.
It is built as a series of small cottages - each with a ground floor and a mezzanine, and an en-suite bathroom. The kitchen is in a separate cottage, and the eating area is a thatched gazebo type building (called a rondavel). there is a large hearth in the open air which serves as a fireplace for a Braai. (Southern African name for a Barbecue)

The whole lot covered about 5 acres, with the river running along one boundary. It was well shaded by large trees (jacarandas mainly, which will look divine in the spring (October) and large Frangipani trees with their exquisite perfume. The place had been empty for a couple of years, but already she had plans to get it back into shape. Of course, she has a maid from the nearby village to do the cleaning and the laundry - and another of the pilots has taken another of the bedroom cottages so she has some company some evenings of the week.

The birds in that garden were spectacular. This is a glossy long tailed Starling.

The colour is a brilliant petrol blue, but under the trees it was a little dull to take a good enough photo - sorry!!!

There was also a paradise flycatcher flitting about in the trees above us, with its long flame coloured tail and multicoloured body. Whilst I have, I think, captured it on video, I was unable to get a photo of it.
We spent a lovely day at the Shoot - every one is so very friendly at these local events, and virtually everyone took the trouble to come over and speak to me. Soon it was time to go back to Kasane, but true to form, we stopped on the way for a pit stop... and a slight change of plan...

No comments: