Friday 9 February 2007

Promise to return

It had been superb having the chance to see Jo'burg with Terry, especially as it is somewhere that I would not visit alone. I would feel very vulnerable, as there is a certain undercurrent of violence in that city. I have heard many horror stories about Jo'burg, but must make it clear that I personally felt safe and unthreatened, thanks to having a 6ft something ex-sailor beside me! In the shops people were so courteous and helpful - something that staff in shops here has long ago abandoned for the most part.

Returning to Vic's for the last couple of days before it was time to go home was lovely. The boys had decided to take me to the Mokolodi Game Reserve, which is just a short drive out of Gaborone. I was fascinated as we drove along, seeing the animals again beside the road. This time it was warthogs that all seem to be out for Sunday foraging sessions. We turned off the road near what appeared to be a forest of radio masts. I was soon put right on that score. As we drove along, there were the most magnificent thatched houses, and the masts were in fact lightening masts to protect those thatched roofs during tropical storms. The sheer ferocity of those storms is something I had never experienced, and indeed on that trip I had not been in one of those events.

The Acacia trees are everywhere - and their thorns are vicious. Anything up to five inches long. Seeing those for the first time made me realise what the Crown of Thorns would have actually been made of, since these tree grow in all the hot countries.

Soon we arrived at the entrance to the Game Reserve. Normally one has to stop and register at the gate house, but on this occasion, we had no time to drive round the reserve, but had gone just to have lunch. We had a lovely lunch, and a lot of laughs at the badly translated menu. After lunch we had a short walk to see two vultures which Terry and Vic had adopted, and which were kept in the 'nursing' enclosure as they were both unable to be set free due to having been found badly injured. There were very few animals in the 'hospital' wing, and a game drive round the reserve would have to wait until another visit.

This is a glorious tree that rejoices in the very apt name of a Flamboyant tree. There were very many, and some in Vics garden too, but this was the best example I saw.

We returned to Gaborone, and in what seemed a very short space of time but in fact was two days, it was time for me to say goodbye to my friends. They both took the time off work to take me to the airport (Terry had to drive some 50Kms to do this). Of course, they both teased me that it was to make sure that I did go home. Terry turned up with a carrier bag containing lots of lovely gifts for me, including some Botswana T Shirts, and a beautifully made Botswana grass basket. They are famous for their lovely baskets, and it holds pride of place in my home.

This garden fence is made entirely of Cable drum sides and was just up the road from Vic's house.

It was very hard to say goodbye, but I knew that now I had been there, I would return. Vic had been a wonderful host, and we had all got on like the proverbial house on fire. Their last words were to make me promise to return, which I did with enormous pleasure.



I could not resist the temptation to photograph this sign in the airport. What an apt name for goodbye! (well, I know it is Setswana for Departures, but to me it was very amusing).

As the plane was coming into Jo'burg airport, it was interesting to see this golf course from the air - especially since it was the only sight of any green I had seen since I left Kasane 2 weeks before.

I arrived back in Birmingham and my dear friends, Ena and Andrew were there to meet me. I had left my car at their house, so I could have a nights sleep before setting off on the drive back up to my own home. If I could sleep on a flight it would not be a problem to arrive back and get in my car and drive the 250 miles home, but travelling for 20+ hours without any sleep makes the drive home something that is not to be undertaken unless all else fails.



I arrived home the following day, and once I had had another good nights sleep in my own bed, I started to plan how I could gather all the things the school had asked for. And, of course, start planning my next visit.....

No comments: