Sunday 15 April 2012

Life goes on and still lessons have to be learned

I recently had a couple of weeks where I thought life had improved immeasurably. Then, out of the blue, it came falling in on me again. It hurt like hell for a while, but then I did what I always do. Picked myself up, re-built a bridge so that bitterness could not get a firm hold, and now I have a friendship that I think we will both value in time to come. I am so blessed, because I have a wonderful circle of friends who laugh with me, but also don't mind comforting me when the tears flow - and yes, they do, try hard as I might to suppress them. I know this other person does not have such a fantastic support network, so holding out a hand of friendship was, if very difficult at first after such rejection and hurt, a cathartic thing to do.

I read a lot, and always have done, and since childhood have read books that lots of adults have never read - philosophy has always been a passion of mine, as has poetry, so I have a wonderful fund of quotations and pithy sayings from others, and many that I have put together myself.

A few months ago I discovered Twitter. I had registered about 3 years ago, but never understood what it was really all about. Once I had a couple of spare hours to experiment, I really got into it. I have found that, whilst at first I just randomly 'followed' mainly well known people or politicians, I soon discovered that they are only on Twitter to self-aggrandise. They never follow back (or very few do) and only tweet something when they want a bit of extra ego massage. Gradually I found that I would find really interesting people by reading their tweets before I decide to follow. It takes a little time, because I do not want to follow people who use expletives every second word. If I want to hear dreadful language, I can go outside any school these days and hear all I want - and frankly, I don't. I am not a prude, and yes, I swear from time to time - but only if I really want to draw attention to a point that exasperates me to despair, not just for a shock effect. Those words have lost their shock effect these days, in the mouths of people who use them as frequently as 'the' and 'and'.

I now have a wonderful band of Twitter friends. I have time for those who think of others, and those who support worthy causes, and support their friends if they are in need of a friendly word. It costs nothing, but if someone lives alone, and spends their time shouting at the TV when there is something contentious on it, twitter is the perfect place to let off that bit of excess steam! There is always someone with an opposing opinion, but many who will agree, so it can be a comfort to know that there are others 'out there' who feel the same.

This morning there was a discussion about the Human Rights Act, and someone tweeted that it really should be a matter of Common Sense.

Years ago I put this little thing into my files, so this morning it was dusted off, and posted on Twitter. It is very heartening to see how many people agree about it - I know that because it has been re-tweeted so many times. So, I thought I would put it on here, so that if anyone wants to read it in future, it is accessible.


Obituary

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, by the name of Common Sense.
Common Sense lived a long life but died in the United States from heart failure
at the beginning of the new millennium.
No one really knows how old he was, since his birth records long ago were lost in bureaucratic red tape.
He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools, hospitals, homes, factories, helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness.

For decades, petty rules, silly laws, and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense. He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adults are in charge, not the kids), and it's okay to come in second.

A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological
Revolution, Common Sense survived cultural and educational trends including body piercing, multi-language ballots, and "new math."

Alas, his health declined when he became infected with the "If-it-makes-you-feel-good-do-it"
virus. In recent decades, his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of well intentioned, but overbearing regulations. He watched in pain as good people became ruled by self-seeking
lawyers.

His health rapidly deteriorated when schools implemented endless zero-tolerance policies. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teenager suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition.

It declined even further when schools had to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student, but could not inform the parents when a female student was pregnant or wanted an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband,
Churches became businesses, criminals received better treatment than their victims, and Federal judges stuck their noses in everything from the Boy Scouts to professional sports.

Finally, when a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, she was awarded a huge settlement, and Common Sense threw in the towel.

As his end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic, but was kept informed of developments regarding questionable regulations such as those for low flow toilets, rocking chairs, and stepladders.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two stepbrothers: My Rights and Ima Whiner. Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

We can all wish for a better world, but the only way it will happen is if we ourselves change first.

No comments: